This policy ensures that TVSA Pilot Training meets its legal and ethical requirements in regard to the collection, storage and disclosure of the private information it holds in regards to its students, staff, clients and others.
0.24.1 Policy Principles
- In collecting private information from individuals, TVSA Pilot Training will comply with the requirements set out in the Privacy Act 1988 and the National Privacy Principles (2014), the Higher Education and Support Act 2003 and the relevant privacy acts of Victoria.
- TVSA Pilot Training is committed to:
- Ensuring the confidentiality, accuracy, and security of all information it collects and stores
- Only collecting information that is necessary for the functions of the organisation and only collecting it by fair and lawful means
- Keeping others informed about the purpose for collecting information
- Collecting information directly where possible
- Only using and disclosing information in ways that are consistent with expectations
- Being open about the kinds of information held
- Providing access to the records held about a person to that person upon request
- Limiting the amount of highly sensitive information held, where possible.
- TVSA Pilot Training will collect private information from students, potential students, employers where relevant, organisations, and third parties either electronically or in hard copy format; including information that personally identifies individual people.
- The types of information collected include personal and contact details, employment information where relevant, statistical information, academic background, course enrolment information and preferences, training, participation and assessment information, fee and payment information and correspondence with and about individuals.
- TVSA Pilot Training will store securely all records containing private information and take all reasonable security measures to protect the information collected from unauthorised access, misuse or disclosure. Private information will be stored in paper-based files that are kept in a secure location locked filing cabinets and electronically in a secure environment to which only authorized staff to have access.
Use and Disclosure of Information
- The information supplied by individuals will only be used to provide information about training opportunities, to enable efficient administration, and to maintain accurate and detailed student and client records of course participation, progress, and outcomes. If an individual chooses not to provide certain information then we may be unable to provide some services or provide appropriate information.
- Personal information may be collected so that TVSA Pilot Training can assess an individual’s entitlement to Commonwealth assistance under Schedule 1A of the Higher Education Support Act 2003 and to allocate a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN). TVSA Pilot Training will disclose this information to the Department of Education (DET) for these purposes. DET will store the information securely in HEIMS and HEPCAT). DET may disclose information to the Australian Taxation Office. Personal information gathered for these purposes will not otherwise be disclosed without the individual’s consent unless required or authorised by law.
- Information about students enrolled with TVSA Pilot Training may be shared with the Australian Government and designated authorities, such as the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER). This includes personal details, contact details, course enrolment information, unit outcomes, training participation, and progress
- TVSA Pilot Training will not disclose an individual’s information to another person or organisation unless:
- The individual concerned is reasonably likely to have been aware, or made aware, that information of that kind is usually passed to that person or organisation
- The individual concerned has given written consent
- TVSA Pilot Training believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the individual concerned or of another person
- The disclosure is required or authorised by or under law
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
- Any person or organisation to whom information is disclosed as described in this policy is not permitted to use or disclose the information for a purpose other than for which the information was supplied to them.
- Where information is disclosed for the purposes of enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the purpose of the protection of public revenue, TVSA Pilot Training shall include in the record containing that information, a note of the disclosure.
Right to access records
- Individuals have the right to access information that TVSA Pilot Training holds about them, including personal details, contact details and information relating to course participation and progress.
- Requests to access the records held about an individual must be made in person to the CEO or in writing using the Access to Records Request Form which can be sent to PO Box 704, Bacchus Marsh, VIC, 3340.
- There is no charge for a student to access the records that TVSA Pilot Training holds about them. Individuals will be advised of how they may access their records within ten (10) days of receiving their written request.
Amendment to records
- If an individual considers the records that TVSA Pilot Training holds about them to be incorrect, incomplete, out of date or misleading, they can request that the information be amended in writing.
- Where a record is found to be inaccurate, a correction will be made. Where an individual request that a record is amended because it is inaccurate but the record is found to be accurate, the details of the request for amendment will be noted on the record
- In order to ensure that students have given their informed consent for their personal information to be disclosed to certain third parties as outlined in this policy, TVSA Pilot Training will ensure all students are informed of this policy prior to enrolment through the Student Handbook.