Skip to content

I’ve decided I want to learn to fly – now what?


1. Choose your licence.

You don’t have to be 100% decided on which licence you want when you start, but it helps if you have an idea of where you want to go.

Do you want to fly for fun? Or perhaps you’d like to work in aviation?

See our previous blog about RPL vs. PPL for more information about your flying-for-fun options.

To work in aviation, you will need a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). This can be done privately or through our Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence).

2. Give us a call to book a tour and/or a TIF.

We’d love to show you around our facilities and chat to you about your training goals/options.

Not sure if you will like flying or just want to test us out? Try a Trial Introductory Flight. Get a taste of what lessons will be like and a feel for the sensations of flight. Warning: you might love it too much to go back!

3. Choose your aircraft.

If you’re studying with us through the Diploma of Aviation, this choice is taken care of for you.

If you are training privately with us, you can choose our Cessna 152 or our Piper aircraft (Warriors/Archers).

There are a few factors to consider. The C152 is a cheaper option, but also limited. If you are over 6”4’ and/or 90kg, the C152 will not be suitable for you.

The Piper aircraft have a better range, so we recommend those for navigation training.

You can start in a C152 and then move into the Warriors/Archers, or you can complete all your training in our Piper aircraft.

For CPL training, our complex aircraft is the Piper Arrow. You progress into this aircraft towards the end of your training.

4. Choose your preferred payment method.

We have several payment options for students at TVSA.

You can choose to pay-as-you-go, each lesson will be charged per hour of engine run time.

We also have packages for RPL, PPL, and CPL training. These packages allow you to pay for your training up front. Your progress through the syllabus will be monitored to make sure you hit your training targets within the time limits for each package.

We are affiliated with Study Loans. Study Loans is Australia’s first loan provider that focuses solely on providing funding for education. They support an individual’s career advancement by financing their tuition fees, enabling students the space to pay off their tuition fees in easily managed weekly, fortnightly, or monthly payments.

For more information about our finance options, please see the “Finance” tab of our menu.

5. Get an ARN.

To complete your flight training, you will need an Aviation Reference Number (ARN).

These are free and you can them here:

6. Start the process for your medical.

You will need a valid medical before you can fly solo. It’s a good idea to get this done early, as the process can sometimes take a while.

If you have any health concerns, we strongly advise you complete your medical before committing to any flight training.

For more information about aviation medicals, visit this CASA website:

7. Shopping time!

You’ll need a few things to do flight training.

Essentials include:

  •  Logbook
  • Headset
  • Textbooks
  • TVSA Flight Training Manual
  • Charts (VTC, VNC, WAC – Hamilton/Melbourne)

We will be able to supply some items, but for others we recommend Skylines at Moorabbin ( or try an online store.

8. First lesson.

Ready to get started? Great! Give us a call or pop in to book your first lesson.

We’ll ask you for a few details to help set you up in the system. Our schedule tends to fill up, so try to plan at least two weeks in advance and have a few options for days/times so we can work with you to find a booking time that works.

Allow an hour for your first flight, and at least another hour or so for admin and an introduction to flight training.

9. Have fun!

Remember to enjoy the experience of flight training. It’s not easy, but it is very worth it.

Contact us or give the office a call on (03) 5369 5162 for more information or to get started.